The idea of Zen space
Calm. Peace. Focus. Tranquility.
Zen is a philosophy that emphasizes intuition, meditation and tranquility. In home design, it reflects harmony, balance and relaxation. Although Zen is not a formal design method, it is often associated with simplicity, minimalism and finesse. There’s only one rule in creating a Zen space - you need to bring a sense of peace and tranquility into your home, in this case decorate your bathroom, to make it more mindful.
If you want to have an authentic, Zen-like bathroom, follow these simple steps.
- Go for muted, earth colors. A Zen-inspired bathroom has to incorporate natural colors and in soft tones like grey, white, or shades of beige, which have an effect that evoke a sense of relaxation and calmness. Chromatic harmony between various elements is necessary, as well as the visual continuity between walls, floors or shower doors.
- Position the bathtub by the window. This is important so that you can experience nature while soaking. Not only is a bathtub a great place to relax and find a sense of calm, but by placing it near a window, you can gaze out into nature and reduce stress while taking a moment for yourself. The bathroom also needs to interact with adjacent rooms so that the view from in and out of the bathroom is serene and appealing.
- Decorate by placing a beautiful piece of artwork or green plants. The artwork has to be placed within viewing distance of the toilet. Plants have a calming effect because of their soothing green colors and the oxygen they give off. However, avoid flowers which need special maintenance or those with disturbing scents. Bonsai trees or hanging plants, for example, make a good choice and are often included in zen decor.
- Eliminate clutter. Keep bath products to a minimum as clutter can only inhibit relaxation. Transfer bath products like body wash, shampoo and conditioner to coordinated containers that are the same color/texture as the shower tile so they disappear. Clear your bathroom of as many items as possible and only keep the essentials.
- Create a space for storage. A zen space isn’t cluttered and messy. Store all blow dryers and toothbrushes. Consider investing in extra storage space and built-in drawers to make space for only the necessities. A stripped-down design makes the bathroom peaceful and spa-like. Use a few fixtures and either position them as far apart as possible. You can also try grouping them together and leave the rest of the bathroom empty.
- Add calming and natural scents. Use candles, essential oils or diffusers. Pick calming scents such as jasmine, lavender or lemon to help you de-stress when winding down or waking up. Make sure that you’re only using natural fragrances instead of harshly flavored faux-scented candles. You may also opt for some nice, scented candles which are helpful in having a soft and natural light inside your bathroom.
Your bathroom should be a comfortable space for you and the rest of your family. It should help you feel calm, centered and at-ease. Remember that it doesn’t have to take a lot in order to bring your bathroom space to this level. In fact, if you just stick to these easy decoration, arrangement and styling tips, you can start turning your bathroom in a more mindful, Zen-like oasis even if it’s short on space. If you are looking for frameless shower doors in Houston, Spring, The Woodlands, Sugarland, Conroe, Willis, Pearland and Friendswood TX areas, get in touch with us today to see how we can help.